Dear Wilkinsburg Community:
The beginning of a new school year, like the dawning of a new day, reminds us that the future holds infinite possibilities. I hope that your summer was relaxing.
By now you have received the informal reports given to you by your son or daughter. The administration, faculty and staff hope those reports are positive. We hope you find that the school year has begun well for your child.
It seems to us that classes began smoothly and that these first few weeks have been a fine beginning of what should be a productive school year. I want to share with you a few fast facts:
- We reduce taxes by 3.1 mills.
- Our enrollment has increased to 706 students.
- Our daily attendance rate at both schools is over 95%.
- We have begun our After School Program at both Kelly and Turner.
- We offer district-wide transportation for our students for the first time ever.
- Breakfast participation is at 93%.
- We offer full year instrumental music.
- Turner construction is underway, on schedule and plan be completed by the start of 2019-2020 school year.
This year will continue to be shaped by our reform efforts as outlined in our District Reconfiguration Pan. Our accomplishments have been monumental and we will continue our focus on teaching and learning so that our students graduate college and career ready. While maintaining the implementation of the initiatives already in place, this year we will also focus on addressing targeted mental health and school safety initiatives.
We know that we have work to do, work that requires commitment, focus and collaboration and we know that we will succeed. I look forward to a year filled with stories of great success and great learning.
Linda J. Iverson, Ph.D.
Superintendent of Schools