Our unique school district has positively transformed into a district that embraces student learning in the last five years. The goal has been to be proactive with more rigor with lesson design and implementation, higher expectations for our faculty and staff and recorded increases in test results. Some of the initiatives that we have in place are:
- Better environments academically, socially, and emotionally for students to learn and grow.
- Establishment of grade level expectations ensuring that all students are prepared for each level of learning.
- Re-structuring classroom spaces to enable future programs.
- Preservation of small classroom sizes with an approximate teacher/student ratio of 1 teacher to 13 students.
- A consistent increase in student attendance
- An increased participation in student breakfast
- A reconfiguration of establishing a new baseline of PSSA data in 2019 from which to compare student achievement from one year to the next
- Effectively repurposed monies from retirement to expand district programming at no cost i.e., STEAM and Emotional Support Classroom
- Enrollment as a member of the Pennsylvania Leadership of Urban Superintendents (PLUS) cohort
- Adaptation of Standards Based Report cards which are aligned with the PA Core standards.
- Technology refinement with every student having access to a Chromebook and internet.
- Established a successful partnership with Pittsburgh Public Schools to transition 7th graders into Pittsburgh Westinghouse Academy where our students have access to state-of-the-art facilities, course offerings, advanced placement course.
About Dr. Maluchnik
Dr. Maluchnik proudly serves as the Superintendent for the district. He was appointed to this position in January of 2022 and was the Interim Superintendent for 7 months prior to his appointment. He was the principal of Turner Intermediate from 2019 until June of 2021. Prior to arriving at Turner, he served as a principal and assistant principal in the following schools:
Assistant Principal at Greensburg Salem High School (2009-2019)
Principal at Everett Area Middle School (2007-2009)
Assistant Principal at Everett Area Junior-Senior High School (2005-2007)
Assistant Principal at Orange County High School (2003-2005)
Dr. Maluchnik earned his Bachelor of Science degree in Business Education from Indiana University of Pennsylvania. He received his Master of Science degree in Educational Administration from California University of Pennsylvania. Dr. Maluchnik was awarded his Superintendent’s Letter of Eligibility from Gannon University and completed his doctorate at the Point Park University. Dr. Maluchnik’s dissertation was entitled "Middle School Programs and Practices: Do the 16 Characteristics Identified by the Association for Middle-Level Education Correlate to Student Achievement?
Dr. Maluchnik professional affiliations include:
- Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development (ASCD)
- Pennsylvania Principals Association
- Phi Delta Kappa (PDK)
- Association for Middle Level Education (AMLE)
- Pennsylvania Association for Middle Level Education (PAMLE)
- International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE)
Dr. Maluchnik has served in the United States Army Reserves for over 25 years and is currently serving as a Chief Warrant Officer 3 with the 316th Expeditionary Support Company in Coraopolis, PA. He has served in Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom and received accommodation medals for each.