Wilkinsburg School District
718 Wallace Avenue
Wilkinsburg, PA 15221-2299
412-871-2104 FAX: 412-371-4058
Every Child, Every Day, Matters!
Wilkinsburg School District Pre-K – 6 Virtual Student Attendance Guidelines
While our classroom environment in the Wilkinsburg School District will be virtual for a portion of our school year, the standards for attendance and behavior are as important as they are in the traditional school setting. As such, appropriate student behavior is expected. While working with the online resources outlined by the Wilkinsburg School District, students, parents, and guardians are expected to abide by the following guidelines:
Student Attendance (Pre-K-6)
- Class attendance will be taken for students in Grades Pre-K - 6 by teachers during “live” lessons.
- All students must be logged into Google Meet from 9:00 a.m. through 10:15 a.m. and 12:45 p.m. through 1:45 p.m. Monday through Thursday.
- For students to be marked present for the full day, they must attend both a.m. and p.m. live sessions.
- If students only attend one of the two live sessions, they will only be marked present for the half day.
- All students must be logged into Google Meet from 9:00 a.m. through 9:30 a.m. on Friday to get credit for attendance for the full day.
- All students must remain logged in for the entire live learning sessions.
- Parents should report full or half-day absences to the school office within three days of the absence listing the reason for the absence.
- Excuse notes must be emailed to your student’s teacher.
- During virtual learning, the District will be monitoring student attendance closely. Any student having excessive absences as outlined in Board Policy # 204 - Attendance may be asked to engage in a School Attendance Improvement Conference in order to prevent additional consequences.
- If your child is going to be absent for an extended period of time, please contact the main office of your child’s school.
What To Do If You Are Not Able To Log Onto a Live Session
- If a student is not able to log on for the a.m. and p.m. live sessions, they need to notify their teacher as soon as possible and are responsible for watching the recording of the live lesson as soon as possible.
Asynchronous Google Classroom Expectations
- Work assigned through Google Classroom must be turned in by the required due date.
- Teachers will be available during office hours.
Grading and Assessment (Pre-K-12)
- Grading for the 2020-21 school year will follow our traditional grading policy as outlined in Board Policy #213 - Assessment of Student Progress.
Below are some things that you can do to support your child and create a conducive environment for online learning:
- Look for parent/guardian updates via the district website or email.
- Ensure that your child attends live, synchronous instruction.
- Establish an appropriate location for learning (quiet, comfortable, free of disruptions, and inappropriate conversations in the background, etc.).
- Help your child establish a daily routine for working on each of their subjects for the day.
- Communicate frequently with your child’s teachers via email.
- Encourage your child to complete assignments and to turn in work.
- Notify teachers when your child is struggling or experiencing academic challenges.