1) What can I expect from a PA Pre-K Counts classroom?
Pennsylvania Pre-K Counts classrooms will:
- Have teachers with the education and expertise to teach young children;
- Use a curriculum that will help your child grow academically and socially;
- Regularly review your child’s progress and choose teaching and learning activities that are best for your child;
- Help you and your child adjust to pre-kindergarten and smoothly move on to kindergarten;
- Offer a small class size (20 students per one teacher and one aide) so that your child can Have plenty of one-on-one time with the teachers;
2) By enrolling your child in PA Pre-K Counts, you can give your child a great start to a bright future
Who is eligible for PA Pre-K Counts?
Each program offering PA Pre-K Counts classrooms will have its own guidelines, but PA Pre-K Counts is designed for children who:
- Meet the income eligibility guidelines of a family income less than 300% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines; and
- Are between the age 3 and younger than the entry age for kindergarten; and
- Who are at risk of school failure, either because of language (English is not your first language), or special needs issues.
If your child falls into these categories, you may be eligible to apply.
3) How much does PA Pre-K Counts cost?
PA Pre-K Counts is free to families. (The portion of the day that is funded through Pennsylvania Pre-K Counts is free to families; the program may charge for additional portions of the day (wrap-around care, etc.).
4) How can I enroll my child in a PA Pre-K Counts classroom?
There are Pennsylvania Pre-K Counts classrooms in 57 of Pennsylvania’s 67 counties.
Please note: Many grantees have partnered with other early learning programs to provide services and may be serving nearby cities as well as the ones listed for the lead agency.
PENNSYLVANIA PROMISE FOR CHILDREN
Pennsylvania’s Promise for Children is a coordinated statewide campaign to raise awareness about the value of quality early learning for all of our young children and to build responsibility among every Pennsylvanian for the early learning of the young children in their lives.
PRE-K COUNTS GRANT
The Pennsylvania Pre-K Counts pre-kindergarten program, established by the Pennsylvania Department of Education, will make quality pre-kindergarten opportunities available to children and families across the commonwealth.
To enroll your child in the Wilkinsburg School District Pre-K program, fill-out and return the 2020 PA Pre-K Counts Enrollment Form to [email protected], or send/drop-off to your prospective Elementary School:
400 Kelly Avenue
Wilkinsburg, PA 15221